Nov 1 - I began a new YA/MG novel, title LEAH after the main character.
I don't yet have a formal outline, but I know what I want to do with her - and does she have a backstory to die for, almost literally.
CAST of Characters
- Leah, age twelve, a precocious seventh grader (or is she?)
- Jerome, Leah's 26 year old brother, a former gangmember, now youth counselor
- Mother, 39, still emotionally crippled over the death of her husband and younger son in a car accident she caused
- Marcus Hammer, a self-styled tough guy, age twelve, someone from Leah's past
- Darnell Hammer, Marcus father, recently released from prison following his sentence for the fire that caused the death of his then seven year old daughter Madison
- "Big Snake" Johnson, also recently released from prison, also involved in the death of Madison
Leah and Jerome refuse to accept accolades for turning in a schoolmate dealing drugs. Leah admits that she remembers "everything," including how her brother returned home late the night of the fire that killed Madison Hammer, and that his clothes smelled of smoke.