Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

BIAW - Day 2

I made today's quota - barely. I also have plot details worked out. I know Neill's real parents, I know what he wants to be when he grows up and why kissing Sheila is as bad as kissing his 3 year old niece. I know how he and Carl get back together, and I even know who killed his real mother and how he or she gets caught. Anyway, at 6800 words, here's today's scene, as Neill tries to explain to his brother Kalif how he feels about his breakup with Carl.

Just say it.
“Neill, I have to get back to my patients.”
“Carl and I …” God, this is so damned painful. “We’re not a couple anymore.”
Kalif’s eyebrows pulled together. “I don’t understand.”
“He broke up with me.”
“Well, I’m … I’m sorry.”
No. He’s not. I can tell by the way his hand pats my shoulder. The little nod of his chin. There’s that look on his face when he’s satisfied he’s been proven right about something.
It’s just a cold, Mrs. C.
I knew you’d prefer red instead of green.
I told that old man it was cancer.
I knew my little brother wasn’t really gay.
“It’s not a phase, Kalif. I'm not going out to find come girl to take Curt’s place.”
He and Lilah pretend they’re okay with my being gay. I guess they tried, but looks like it was never real.
Mom and dad are the only ones who really accepted me as I was. My parents would have accepted anything.
Brother’s suck.
And I don’t mean that in a good way.

No comments: