Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

YA Fiction and the Next Big Thing



I'm pumped to attend the 2012 YALSA Literature Symposium, titled: The Future of Young Adult Literature: Hit Me with the Next Big Thing.  The conference is being held in St. Louis, Mo., the proverbial "hop, step and jump" away from my home. (Am I dating myself with that reference?) YALSA stands for Young Adult Library Services Association.

While I am not presenting (that will be at the ALA convention next summer) I will be haunting the halls, attending presentation on YA Literature and Fan-Created Work, the Future of Review Guidance, the Future of Whiteness in Young Adult Literature, Contemporary Young Adult FictionWhat Will Guys Read Next, and, of course, a special presentation on  Trends, Fads, and the Next Big Thing in Publishing.

If you're hanging around and find YALSA Author B. A. Binns, hit me with the secret words (hint: All The Colors Of Love) to get a free copy of one of my books, either PULL or Die Trying.




8 comments:

Renee Pace said...

Keep us posted. I'd love to know what the new trends are in YA. I write nitty gritty YA and I'd love to see more Boy focused stories.

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Sounds like great fun! :)

B. A. Binns said...

Renee, I write boy-centric books myself. The "What will guys read next" session is all about that, and I have that marked as a Must Attend on my schedule.

Maureen McGowan said...

Have a great time, B.A. It sounds like it's going to be fantastic.

I'd love to hear about the "What Will Guys Read" session after too! I think my book would be very appealing to boys, but the publisher put a very girl-centric cover on it... And a friend of mine has a YA fantasy, written in two male POVs and her publisher put a girl on the cover! It's like they don't think boys read... :)

Amy Fellner Dominy said...

Looking forward to hearing what you learn. Keep us posted at TeenLit loop

Anonymous said...

I love the James Bond/secret code thing for getting a free book! That is great.

B. A. Binns said...

Maureen, unfortunatly publishers do think boys don't read. They also know that the demographics says girls are their number one customer, and they are out to appeal to that, making a self-fulfilling prophecy. I do talks to groups about attracting reluctant male readers (and I will be at the American Library Association summer conference in Chicago presenting on the subject) so I am all too aware of the problem. Guys really do like a good book. But their idea of a "good book" may be different from a girl's.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Wow, sounds like a great conference. People do assume that boys don't read, so they gear most of the promotion to girls which creates a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'd also like to hear more about "quieter" genres like historical fiction. Are publishers open to more than the latest trend?