Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Book Review - Cyborg

Confessions Of A Cyborg (The Clone Codes)Confessions Of A Cyborg by Patricia C. McKissack

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Although I have not read book 1 of this series I didn't need to to enjoy this fast-paced story. This MG/YA book quickly plunged me into an alternate future filled with fun characters and a suspenseful dilemma, all in about 100 pages.

The future includes human beings - Wholers, Cyborgs and Clones. Wholers are considered the only true human beings with no artificial parts. Cyborgs are former wholers who have three or more artificial parts like the hero sixteen-year-old Houston Ye turned into a cyborg after a childhood boating accident. They are also considered uncivilized and only 3/5 of a human being. Clones are considered the lowest form of humanity, and believed to be incapable of emotions, reasoning or abstract thinking. Thirteen-year-old clone Leanna Beberry is poised to prove them wrong. These two, along with their Whole friend, ten-year-old genius Carlos, and the AI spaceship RUBy, become the rallying point for clones, cyborgs and wholers who believe people are people.

This fast and easy read pays tribute to both Dr. Martin Luther King and the Dalai Lama as it examines prejudice and the quest for non-violent change and a chance for people to live in harmony. I was sucked in to the point where I almost wished I could get one of those cyborg "biofe" eyes and ears.

View all my reviews

No comments: